Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:39:28 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dwight Eggers (EUS)" <EUSDEE1@AM1.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: upload files via SAS/IntrNet
Comments: To: "schick_arnold@MY-DEJA.COM" <schick_arnold@MY-DEJA.COM>

Arnold,

I was able to achieve this in October, following some help from SAS-L.

I was told by Tech Support that INTRNET does not support this, but ...

Craig Tuck passed the following link which provided a starting point for a cgi script to do this.

http://www.golfmax.ca/asp/file_upload.asp

within the application, you need a <form> element something like

<form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="/cgi-sas/file_upload.cgi">

where file_upload is your cgi script which copies the file to some directory structure accessible to the application server.

One caution ... it is best to include some elementary checks of the data within the cgi script. I encountered a problem when the application was expecting a CSV file from excel, but the user was attempting to upload an .xls file in the internal excel format which messed up the quoting and completely corrupted the application server process without shutting it down. I expect that my input step could be made more robust, but it may be easier to completely isolate SAS from such erroneous data as much as possible.

Good luck, Dwight