Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:23:51 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Berryhill, Tim" <TWB2@PGE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Copying SAS Datasets safely
Comments: To: Diana Noble <diana.noble@PRUDENTIAL.COM>,
          sas-l <sas-l@uga.cc.uga.edu>

At least in V6, it is perfectly safe to copy or move SAS libraries with OS utilities. Earlier versions of the library structure used absolute track addresses in the library structure, so only SAS could manipulate the libraries, but this is no longer the case.

That said, you have asked previously about allocating datasets across multiple packs. Some of the ways to do that (the methods which do not require SMS) would allow the OS to back up different segments of the library (different packs) at different times. Also, if you use IDCAMS to dump a disk-format dataset to tape, it is still in disk format. That means there is no way to use it without moving it back to disk. You can use tape-format on disk (sequentially, without any of the disk-format advantages), but you cannot use disk-format on tape.

Tim Berryhill - Contract Programmer and General Wizard TWB2@PGE.COM or http://www.aartwolf.com/twb.html Frequently at Pacific Gas & Electric Co., San Francisco The correlation coefficient between their views and my postings is slightly less than 0 > ---------- > From: Diana Noble[SMTP:diana.noble@PRUDENTIAL.COM] > Reply To: Diana Noble > Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 8:10 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: MVS: Copying SAS Datasets safely > > I have a bunch of SAS datasets that were backed up with the IDCAMS utility > that > are corrupt. > > I recall vividly being TOLD in SAS classes and probably here in the SAS-L > that > we must use SAS Procs to safely backup SAS datasets. > > What I have been searching for (in vain I might add) all morning is the > references to this in the SAS Language, SAS Procedures, MVS Companion, > ...... > manuals (four bookshelves of books). > > I should think something like this would be re-interated at least several > times > in bold red 18 pt or larger type, but ... well, > hey.... > > Can anyone provide me the reference? I would like to use this as > documentation > for some backup and recovery procedures. Thanks > > Diana Noble > Prudential >