Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:10:52 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sorin Sion <Sorin.Sion@CONNEX.RO>
Subject:      "DOS commands in a syntax file?" strikes back

Hi again!

I want more... Actually, I tried to solve the problem with a DOS batch file like this:

cd "C:\My Documents\" UNZIP Source1.ZIP :LABEL1 choice /c:ync /t:c,30 ; wait 30 seconds if not exist READY.SAV goto LABEL1 ;cycle 'till the "flag" file is generated del Source1.SAV del Temp1.SAV del Temp2.SAV choice /c:ync /t:c,30 ;allow some time to avoid sharing violation errors del READY.SAV

The syntax file generates the two files needed to compose the final file and, at the end of the procedure, it selects some cases from the final file and saves the READY.SAV file. The batch file, running in the background, senses the presence of this "flag" file and deletes the unzipped file and the two temporary files. There are 6 sequences like this in my DOS batch file, for 6 different zipped files. Given that my unzipped files are ususally 500megs big and the complexity of the script, I often run the procedure during nights or weekends. The problem is that sometimes this batch file works, sometimes not, I don't know why. I may find the first and the last of the unzipped files processed ok, but the middle ones missing, or different other situations.

Now, I think that by avoiding this "daemon" scheme, I'll have 100% succes in processing all this files. But I can do this only if I SPSS knows to execute the syntax AFTER the initial file is unzipped. I'll be happy to try this with a SPSS script but I am not shure with my knowledge in this...

Thank you a lot

Sorin SION Market Research Analyst MobiFon S.A. - ROMANIA GSM: (+4)092.628.309 Tel: (+401)302.18.15 Fax: (+401)302.14.63