Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:35:05 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Anne.Marie.Smith@ASTRAPHARMACEUTICALS.COM
Subject:      Re: SAS System Viewer (6.12) gives wrong var. length
Comments: To: Tom Frenkel <taf2@IS8.NYU.EDU>

A little less shocking way to check on dataset variables is to

!0 Open interactive SAS

2) submait Libname statements with location of your dataset

3) Using the pulldown menu, select global, access, display libraries which will bring up your librefs entries.

4) Use S for Select which will give you the information you desire. You can also say B for Browsing any of your library datasets in a spreadsheet like fashion.

Hope this helps, I know that this method is an easy way to get the info you desire.

Kind Regards, Anne http://geocities.com/~rainbow_softwr

To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: From: Tom Frenkel <taf2@IS8.NYU.EDU> Date: 03/08/2000 06:54 PM GMT Subject: Re: SAS System Viewer (6.12) gives wrong var. length

Peter --

Well, I may have assumed something wrong here! I thought that the SAS System Viewer *was* part of the SAS System, AT LEAST in the sense that it would share basic concepts & terminology. When I used the Viewer to check variable lengths as I was debugging a program, I had *FAITH* that the magic "SAS" name would imply consistency and reliability. (Well, why shouldn't I have faith, with a product where inconsistencies are so rare, and reliability is so high!). So when "Length" turned out to mean something different in the Viewer, from what it means in the rest of SAS, it was quite a shock ...

At least, as Ian noted, things are more consistent -- and reliable -- in Version 8! Best,

--Tom Tom Frenkel <taf2@is8.nyu.edu> http://pages.nyu.edu/~taf2