Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:21:48 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Gerard T. Pauline" <gpauline@FSMAIL.PACE.EDU>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: SAS V8 on OS/390: upgrade plans?]

All:

I sent this directly to Larry last week; thought the information may be helpful to others on the list.

-Gerry

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: SAS V8 on OS/390: upgrade plans? Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:45:27 -0600 From: "Gerard T. Pauline" <gpauline@fsmail.pace.edu> Organization: Pace University To: "L. Bertolini" <bertolini.1@OSU.EDU> References: <38C3AF90.43099DA4@osu.edu>

Larry:

We've installed SAS V8 on our S/390 under VM/ESA, not MVS, oops, I mean OS/390.

> > We recently received SAS V8 for OS/390; haven't installed it > yet. > > I was wondering whether anyone else has any experiences > with V8, on OS/390, that they'd be willing to share; > specifically: > > * have you found anything that wasn't upwardly > compatible? (Any old code that doesn't work?) >

No unexpected code problems, except having to recompile stored Data Steps and Macros -- this has been the same for each version release. Although V8 will read V6 datasets, we're converting the permanent SAS datasets we have; no problem with the datasets, but wish there was an easy way to convert format libraries -- the source for one of our big ones seems to have disappeared !

> * performance: do programs seem to consume more > CPU with V8 than with V6? > > The old maxim is "never install release 0 of any product". > In my mind, the release of V8 that I just received is > really 7.1 (or V7 was really 8.0?); so this release of > V8 should be pretty reliable. Any evidence to the > contrary? >

You're right on here ! We had v7 last summer, which I pulled. Our 7 SAS products took up triple the disk space they did under v6 (650 cylinders vs 1800 cyls). Also, the minimum amount of virtual storage to run ANY job, quadrupled between the versions (4 meg for V6; 18 meg for V7). There was also a problem with SyncSort and V7.

For version 8, the amount of space taken up by the products is the same. SAS, installed as a DCSS (same as installing in the MVS LPA), requires only 10 meg as minimum to run a job. Haven't done any real analysis of resource consumption, performance, etc yet. Users will signon with 10 meg virtual machines, with a grow max size of 32 meg (for version 6 it was 6m signon, 24 meg grow to).

One thing to note: the online SAS HELP system is IMMENSE ! We actually dropped this part out of the DCSS (it's still accessible, it will just load slower) to conserve spool space. Also, according to SAS tech support, there will be SAS v8.1 (an annoying informative system message we're getting, regarding the SAS Help not being in the DCSS, won't be able to be suppressed till v8.1).

We hope to go product with SAS v8 in a week or two.

Thats about it !

-Gerry

Gerard T. Pauline Mgr, Internet/DB Applications Computer Systems, DoIT Pace University

-- > bertolini.1@osu.edu > Larry Bertolini > University Technology Services > The Ohio State University