Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2000, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:57:25 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         lbadiella@MY-DEJA.COM
Subject:      Re: Soundex codes

Hi all,

There is a function named SPELLDIS (If I am not wrong) that computes distances between strings, I think you can declare your own weights to define this distance. Maybe this is more useful than soundex. I have used SPELLDIS to recode typed brand names to the "correct" ones using also COMPRESS, INDEX and other string functions.

Hope this helps,

LlorenÁ Badiella lbadiella@lacaixa.es

In article <s8e23d3d.005@10.1.114.34>, Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM> wrote: > There has been has been some discussion of Soundex, and some alternatives to > Soundex, over the past year. You might try looking in the archives. > > -- > JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com > Development Manager, Technical Group > METRICS Department, First Health > West Sacramento, California USA > > >>> Michael Thomas <Michael.Thomas@EQUIFAX.COM> 03/28/2000 7:41 am >>> > Has anyone used the SOUNDEX function to compare strings of data? > > What I am thinking of doing is using that function to try to find all of the > different ways we code a company's name in our different systems.... or even > company "our" data with external sources. > > I am sure this is not unique to our company and that, hopefully, others have > crossed this bridge. > > Michael >

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.