Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:15:12 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Rob Rohrbough <Rob@ROHRBOUGH-SYSTEMS.COM>
Subject:   FW: Updating an application to version 8
Comments:   To: WHITLOI1 <WHITLOI1@westat.com>

My apologies, I clicked the Send button, which is right next to the Save button, by mistake. Hope to finish this message and get it out in the next day or so...

Rob

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Rohrbough [mailto:Rob@ROHRBOUGH-SYSTEMS.COM] Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 3:07 PM Subject: Re: Updating an application to version 8

> Rob, could you get explicit?

Ian, thanks for the push. Had intended to put this list together for a number of folks. Guess I've posted enough today (4/17) that I can't say time is short. Will use HTML for formatting; let me know if someone needs plain text. Here goes:

1.. First problem...

2.. sss Most/all of these have been reported to SASI, and their Tech Support has been typically excellent. Did not include tracking numbers although some tracks are open for, perhaps, obvious reasons. Maybe a little birdie can tell me if I am wrong.

HTH all concerned,

Rob

> -----Original Message----- > From: WHITLOI1 [mailto:WHITLOI1@westat.com] > Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 2:41 PM > To: Rob Rohrbough; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re[2]: Updating an application to version 8 > > > Subject: Re: Updating an application to version 8 > Summary: I would like a list of V8 bug fixes that cause bugs > in V6.12 programs. > Respondent: Ian Whitlock <whitloi1@westat.com> > > Rob Rohrbough <Rob@ROHRBOUGH-SYSTEMS.COM> wrote in part: > > > Personally, I found about 20 issues when converting my first app > > from V6.12 to V8.00, many of which required code changes. Some > > issues are resolved with V8.00, M1, some will be addrsssed in > > V8.01 - mostly involving minor (?) printing changes. While some > > of these appear to have been introduced with ODS or with general > > cleanup of some idiosynchrases of V6, V8 does seem to be for the > > better, and ODS is a good thing. Ironic that I have to re-work > > around some of my V6 workarounds. (I didn't know they were > > work-arounds at the time.) > > Rob, could you get explicit? Can other SAS-Lrs provide a list? I > would like to see a thread where each new bug fix problem gets added > as found. Some how this list is missing from the changes and > enhancements documentation. To start off, I offer two. > > 1) The parsing of %MAC&X has changed. In V6.12 &X is used to > modify the name of the macro called. In V8 the & acts as a > separator so %MAC generates part of a string and the > resolution of &X finishes it. Hence the code below either > does not work because there is no macro %MAC or it produces > very different results in V8. > > %macro macq(dummy) ; %put q called ; %mend ; > > %let x = q ; > %mac&x() > > > 2) Obtaining the file name via the FILENAME= option on the INFILE > statement has changed when reading multiple data sets. This > code produces different data sets in version 6.12 and version 8. > The comments tell the story. > > filename q "c:\junk\q*.dat" ; > > DATA w ( keep = b4fn aftfn text eovflg ) ; > LENGTH b4fn aftfn FN $ 200 ; > ; > eov = 1 ; > DO UNTIL ( EOF ) ; > INFILE q FILENAME=FN END = EOF eov = eov length = len ; > b4fn = fn ; /* V6.12 must capture filename before input */ > INPUT TEXT $varying132. len ; > aftfn = fn ; /* V8 must capture filename after input */ > eovflg = eov ; > output ; > if eov or firstflg then > do ; > eov = 0 ; > end ; > end ; > run ; > > Perhaps there ought to be a time limit on bug fixes. If a bug hasn't been > fixed for 10 years, perhaps it shouldn't be. At least it should make it > to the list. Please continue. > > Ian Whitlock <whitloi1@westat.com> >

[text/html]