Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:39:00 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM
Subject:      Re: Query - looking at doing a simple "open-source" SASinterpreter
Comments: To: Andy Elvey <andy.elvey@paradise.net.nz>, sas-l@uga.cc.uga.edu

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:01:23AM +1200, Andy Elvey wrote: > Hi - thanks very much for this ... :-) > > Yes - I'd heard of the Gestalt Project getting underway. Sadly, they mention > in their manifesto (or their home page) that a "Free SAS" is not one of their > objectives <sigh ... > I'm also aware of the excellent packages R , Goose and > Scilab .

Addressed in my earlier email, see list or reply for re-post.

> I sent SAS an email directly a while back , suggesting that they could look > at releasing the old version 6.04 as open-source (now that many/most people > will be upgrading to the excellent version 8). Sadly , no luck ... they > pretty much said that > " it a'int gonna happen ... " :-) So - it looks like we're on our own for > the moment .......

One of the inspirations for GS was simply frustration in getting SI to come around and do something of their own initiative. I'm much more accepting of my own ass-dragging than that of someone else.

> There is some good news. It is only now (in SAS version 8) that output from > procedures can easily be done in HTML (due to the very-good ODS system that > SAS has). HTML output should be possible relatively early on in an > open-source "pseudo-SAS" .

Cf: Gestalt System WRT XML.

> "David L. Cassell" wrote:

-- Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http:/www.netcom.com/~kmself What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand? http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/ GPG fingerprint: F932 8B25 5FDD 2528 D595 DC61 3847 889F 55F2 B9B0

[application/pgp-signature]