Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 May 2000 14:52:35 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nichols, David" <nichols@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: SPSS 10 Log Linear

SPSS has three loglinear modeling procedures. The older LOGLINEAR procedure is now available only through command syntax. The three options in the menus take you to dialog boxes either for the GENLOG procedure or the HILOGLINEAR procedure.

The Model Selection option takes you to a dialog box for the HILOGLINEAR procedure. HILOGLINEAR fits only loglinear representations of models, in which there are none denoted as independent or dependent. It will only produce parameter estimates for saturated models. It's major attraction is that it will automatically start with a saturated model (or something less complete) and sequentially test terms for exclusion.

The General and Logit options take you to different dialog boxes for the GENLOG procedure. The General option also fits a loglinear representation of the models, where no factors are specified as independent or dependent (I've seen this construed as all factors dependent or as all independent with the logs of frequencies as the dependent). The Logit option takes you to a different dialog box that allows specification of some factors as dependent and others as independent. Throughout GENLOG, you can get parameter estimates for any model.

David Nichols Principal Support Statistician and Manager of Statistical Support SPSS Inc.