Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 May 2000 20:58:11 +1200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Stanley <don_stanley@XTRA.CO.NZ>
Subject:      Re: stack overflows using views on MVS
Comments: To: dean.bross@MAIL.VA.GOV

Paula ... highly unlikely that any site will consider re-installing the mainframe OS because a SAS program has this sort of problem.

There are a number of things that can be tried::

* upping the region size for the job * increasing memsize to say 32M (you use proc options to find what it is now) * if a sort is involved (including an SQL join that may need to sort internally) try increasing the SORT= option. I often use NODYNALLOC as well which for whatever reason seems to have a positive impact on very big sorts. Also SORTWKNO=x will allow you to allocate x sort files which may help here * reducing the complexity of the view. For example, does the VIEW read 1 or many datasets, how big is the program data vector etc etc. Does the view use an extraordinarily large number of IF then else statements?

Paula is right that it is likely to be a resource problem, today I struck it with a SORT and just bumped SORT= to 1000 which fixed it immediately.

There are no reasons to avoid views on MVS, only reasons to ensure code is written as efficiently as possible and a realisation that MVS, despite its grunt, is as resource constrained as any other OS. If you haven't got the resource, you can't have the resource.

Dean, if you can't get this working post the view. Its obviously doing a mass of work to get those 828252 observations.

Don

-- Don Stanley, B.SC, Dip O.R.S, MNZCS Director, Sysware Consulting Group Box 634, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND http://www.sysware.co.nz EMAIL:: don_stanley@xtra.co.nz http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/don_home.htm Genealogy:: http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/family.htm