Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2000 10:49:48 +0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim Groeneveld <J.Groeneveld@ITGROUPS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Create a directory from SAS
Comments: To: Benjamin Guralnik <guralnik@BEZEQINT.NET>

Benjamin,

Regarding automatical creation of subdirectories, if possible a whole path at once, I am rather sure that creating more than one at a time is not possible. You should indeed issue separate commands to do so. However, you actually may say { MD sub1\sub2 } if sub1 already exists. Furthermore, if a directory already exists and you don't test for that (in some way) an MD command doesn't do any harm either (except for some error report). However, a directory name specified already may exist as a file name. In that case an MD command doesn't do any harm either, but the desired directory can not be created, unless the file is renamed or (re)moved.

A very quick way for testing the existence of a subdirectory in DOS is: IF EXIST SubdPath\NUL ECHO This subdirectory or complete path exists However, I've noticed years ago already that this only works correctly on local drives, not on some network drives. So I wrote (compiled) batch files for testing the existence of some name as a file or directory, using attemps to create a dummy file in a directory. These work correctly on all kinds of drives, AFAIK. I have them somewhere at home. If you are interested to use them, tell me. On the other hand there may be other similar freeware DOS utilities available.

Regards - Jim. -- Y. (Jim) Groeneveld, MSc IMRO TRAMARKO tel. +31 412 407 070 senior statistician, P.O. Box 1 fax. +31 412 407 080 head IT department 5350 AA BERGHEM IMRO TRAMARKO: a CRO J.Groeneveld@ITGroups.com the Netherlands in clinical research

It is my job to keep my computer at work, but its job is to reveal my work.