Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:23:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Wexler <Michael.Wexler@E-DIALOG.COM>
Subject:      Re: KDD-2000 Workshop Call for Participation
Comments: To: David Lindsay <spss@MKTRES.DEMON.CO.UK>

We all do understand, of course, that this is not a job request, that its not an advertisement for a product, not a sponsorship, and that ACM is open to international membership? I'm not sure how you folks define advertisements, but if SPSS announces a new product, I expect to hear about it here. If we allow SPSS product announcements, then perhaps we might have the generosity to have useful announcements which help us complete data analysis faster and more accurately.

I don't want to see this become a job list nor a spam list, but let's be fair about the lines: Conference announcements are helpful if they are legit (No IQPC or IIR, please). Specifically, the KDM conference is one of the few successful cross-academic-commercial conferences out there, its high quality, and since many participants are big fans (and customers) of spss and clementine, I for one am pleased to see announcements of this sort.

I sincerely hope that we do see fit to include announcements such as the following: * Conferences regarding stats and biostats * New datamining software and betas * Data prep tools (even if they run outside the spss environment) * New ways to link SPSS to other analytical tools (vba scripts and objects, tools with native spss links, etc.)

Just one member's opinion, I defer to the wisdom of the greater list...

Thanks, Michael

Michael Wexler Director of Research, E-Dialog 131 Hartwell Ave. Lexington, MA 02421 781-372-3376 (v) 781-863-8118 (f) mwexler@e-dialog.com