Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:07:48 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Lucas, Gail" <glucas@SPSS.COM>
Subject:   Re: IMPORTING AN EXCEL FILE INTO SPSS 10.0
Comments:   To: c dommeyer <vcmkt001@csun.edu>

Curt,

I am including a technical note below that goes into a little more detail, but you can now read Excel 97 files and higher directly into SPSS using File -> Open, rather than having to use ODBC. If you still want to use ODBC, the technical note describes the changes you will need to make to the data source.

Gail SPSS Technical Support.

Q I am using SPSS 10.0 and File->Open Database->New Query to read in data from Excel. In SPSS 9.0, I was able to use the Excel ODBC driver to read in Excel 97/2000 data without any problems. When I read the same data in SPSS 10.0, I am prompted for a Login ID and Password. What do I do?

A. As of SPSS 10.0, the File->Open->Data menu will open Excel 97 and 2000 data types. It is no longer necessary to use File->Open Database->New Query to read in Excel 97/2000 data. If you would like to continue reading in the data using File->Open Database->New Query, please use the ODBC Administrator to configure a UserDSN for each data source you will be using. The steps below detail setting up a UserDSN for one data source.

1. Locate the ODBC Administrator in your Control Panels folder. (You can also launch the ODBC Administrator by clicking on Add Data Source in the SPSS 10 File->Open Database->New Query dialog.)

2. On the UserDSN tab, click on Add.

3. Select the Microsoft Excel Driver and click on Finish.

4. Type a name in the Data Source Name Area to create a UserDSN. (This is the data source name that appears in the list in the first File->Open Database->New Query dialog.)

5. Verify that the correct version is indicated for your Excel file.

6. Click on Select Workbook and find the path and file name of your Excel database.

7. Click on OK to return to the ODBC Data Source Administrator.

-----Original Message----- From: c dommeyer [mailto:vcmkt001@csun.edu] Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 9:33 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: IMPORTING AN EXCEL FILE INTO SPSS 10.0

Could someone explain to me how I can import an Excel data file into SPSS 10.0? (I'm using the latest version of Excel from Office 2000.)

I went to FILE --> Database Capture --> New Query --> I selected Excel. A box appeared that asked for my login name and password. I don't have a login name and password to give it.

Curt Dommeyer CSUN Northridge, CA