Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:48:23 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Annie Chang <chang5a@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   passing equal sign as a parameter in macro

I think i have a hard question:

%macro test ( var); data tmp; set dataset; &var; %mend;

%test ( "new = 3");

What I am doing here? I am trying to pass an equal sign "=" to the macro. (don't complain about the silly example, I make it up so that my question is easier to explain). But it doesn't work. Since if I quote it, &var becomes "new = 3"; the quotation marks become errors. However, if I just call it like %test ( new = 3);

sas will complain that there is no key parameter as 'new'. i.e., sas treats the equal sign as a default definition for a parameter, and won't pass the whole thing 'new = 3' to &var.

I tried all those quote functions but to no avail. Need an expert in SAS to help!!

Thank you.