Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:55:15 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Steve Spurling <sspurlin@CCSF.CC.CA.US>
Subject:      Re: SAS vs Access
Comments: To: Karyn <froggee_1NOfrSPAM@HOTMAIL.COM.INVALID>

Karyn: As it happens, I just took a class in Access and was impressed by this microsoft product. I am currently both exporting SAS datasets to Access and linking SAS and Access together through OLEDB. That allows me to run statistical analyses directly from the Access database rather than having to import them into a SAS format. The advantage of SAS is that it has a number of statistical analysis techniques tied to it. These are both impressive and numerous. They are impressive both because of their many features and because of the speed at which they run. SAS is general is quite fast. SAS also has the ability to handle as many records as you might find in Access. I have used it with million record files without difficulty (though the processing does slow down). The only downside is error checking and entry validation. You can do that in SAS but you have to write your own programs to do that. Since SAS is different from other programming languages, it takes a bit of time to learn how to do this. Access has easier facility to deal with data entry with validation rules and its interfaces to the data enterer and simple queries of the database. So, the main reason in my view to acquire SAS is for the statistical analysis. Do you have people who need this facility at your place of work?

Steve Spurling Researcher, City College of San Francisco