Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:53:39 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Iwaniszek <jiwaniszek@NC.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbies too lazy to read manuals -- was ==> Re: converting
              "pure"

Bob Berto wrote:

A thoughtless screed that is certainly not representative of my point of view nor those of the many SAS programmer I have worked with. No question is too trivial that it does not deserve a polite and considered response. The posters who offered bile instead of concise answers to carefully worded questions should be ashamed of themselves.

Plus, they are flat wrong. No one I know learned SAS from the bottom up. It has been piecemeal based on what was required for the problem at hand. In short; results oriented.

If you do not want to help this young lady then keep your mouths shut and let people who do respond. This attitude is intolerable in an intellectual community such as ours and it is certainly unprofessional, not to mention inhumane.

This is the most important part of what I have to say: These two or three individuals are not representative of the majority of participants in this forum. If you receive a message in response to a question that is less than polite you should not feel that you are at fault or have some how trangressed. Any one who wishes to discuss this further may contact me personally at the phone number below. Return email is always welcome.

John

> > Ray, > > You are so polite. My suggestion is to BAFB = Buy a Fine Book ! > > I have some newbies at work. I can't imagine trying to get > business > answers from a programming language without reading enough to > learn, > for example, valid variable names. Yet someone at work did just > that. > I politely explained that the message about no numerical suffix > was due > to the attempt to use POL-NUM as a variable name and the person > just complained about SAS being lame. > > I bit my e-tongue reading all Paula's questions about reading > dates ; > then I recalled that she was posting jobs. Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh > ! ! ! > > Bob > > > I hope I am not being augumentative. I hope I can offer some questions > > that can excite you in the near future. > > > > > > Paula D > > > "Ray Pass" <raypass@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote in message > > > news:4.2.2.20000622125323.00cd7370@postoffice.worldnet.att.net... > > > > Paula, > > > > > > > > I've been noticing your posts over the last few weeks and I applaud > > > > quest to master SAS. You have been sending out many basic questions and > > > > have gotten much good advice (and some that is not all that helpful.) I > > > > have a suggestion for you. It seems that you are rushing into using SAS > > > > with a little too much energy devoted to getting results and not enough > > > > learning the product first. Might I suggest that you step back a moment > > > > and get a very firm basic grounding in some of the SAS basics like SAS > > > > dates, reading in raw data of various format types, sorting SAS data > > > > etc. There are a wealth of basic SAS knowledge sources out there > > > > SI courses, SI Books By Users books (some are now available in

-- John Iwaniszek

Statistical Programming Manager Stat-Tech Services, LLC

919 571 6444

Developers of the Macro Reporting System - Delivering Statistical reports in ASCII, RTF, and HTML

http://www.StatTechServices.com