Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:48:47 -0400
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Barbara Passmore <passmore@DATASYS.NET>
Subject:   REPORT THESE BIRDS TO GABO

GEORGIA BIRDS TO REPORT TO; GABO-L@listserv.uga.edu

FROM GIFF:

>Since a "Species to Report" list was posted last week on FLORIDABIRDS by Wes Biggs, Barbara Passmore asked me to come up with a similar list of species for Georgia. The idea behind this list is to show those species which should be reported to GABO (and to the RBA Hotlines) if at all possible. Since the relative rarity of a bird depends on many factors, such as where in the state you find it, and using your best judgement and if in doubt,

Let others know! If the species in question is not on this list and you don't think it occurs regularly, by all means post it!! Some of the species on this list are not all that rare, but are those species which birders always seem to be interested in (such as Wood Stork, Purple Gallinule, and Henslow's Sparrow). Additionally, this list is not meant to be all-inclusive, so please continue to post whatever you find interesting or just want to share…

From the Georgia Regular List (species with an *asterisk* are "Review Species", those for which documentation is requested by the GOS Checklist and Records Committee)

Red-throated Loon Red-necked Grebe * Eared Grebe Western Grebe * Black-capped Petrel * Greater Shearwater * Sooty Shearwater * Manx Shearwater * Leach's Storm-Petrel * Band-rumped Storm-Petrel * 10 White-tailed Tropicbird * Red-billed Tropicbird * Masked Booby * American White Pelican Great Cormorant * Magnificent Frigatebird American Bittern Reddish Egret American Bittern Glossy Ibis 20 Roseate Spoonbill Wood Stork Black-bellied Whistling-Duck * Fulvous Whistling-Duck * Greater White-fronted Goose Ross's Goose * Brant * Tundra Swan Eurasian Wigeon * Cinnamon Teal * 30 King Eider * Common Eider * Harlequin Duck * White-winged Scoter Long-tailed Duck (Oldsquaw) Common Goldeneye Common Merganser * Masked Duck * Swallow-tailed Kite Northern Goshawk * 40 Rough-legged Hawk * Golden Eagle Yellow Rail * Black Rail Purple Gallinule Limpkin * Snowy Plover * Long-billed Curlew Baird's Sandpiper Purple Sandpiper 50 Curlew Sandpiper * Ruff * Wilson's Phalarope Red-necked Phalarope Red Phalarope South Polar Skua * Pomarine Jaeger Franklin's Gull * Little Gull * Iceland Gull * 60 Glaucous Gull Black-legged Kittiwake * Sabine's Gull * Arctic Tern * Brown Noddy * Dovekie * Razorbill * White-winged Dove Black-billed Cuckoo Smooth-billed Ani * 70 Snowy Owl * Burrowing Owl * Long-eared Owl * Short-eared Owl Northern Saw-whet Owl * Magnificent Hummingbird * Black-chinned Hummingbird Anna's Hummingbird * Calliope Hummingbird * Broad-tailed Hummingbird * 80 Allen's Hummingbird * Olive-sided Flycatcher Yellow-bellied Flycatcher Alder Flycatcher * Willow Flycatcher Say's Phoebe * Vermilion Flycatcher * Scissor-tailed Flycatcher * Bell's Vireo * Warbling Vireo 90 Florida Scrub-Jay * Bewick's Wren * Northern Wheatear * Bicknell's Thrush * Varied Thrush * Sprague's Pipit * Black-throated Gray Warbler * Townsend's Warbler * Kirtland's Warbler * Connecticut Warbler 100 Mourning Warbler MacGillivray's Warbler * Western Tanager * Green-tailed Towhee * Spotted Towhee * American Tree Sparrow * Clay-colored Sparrow Lark Sparrow Lark Bunting * Henslow's Sparrow 110 Le Conte's Sparrow Harris's Sparrow * Lapland Longspur * Snow Bunting * Black-headed Grosbeak * Western Meadowlark * Yellow-headed Blackbird Shiny Cowbird * Bullock's Oriole * Red Crossbill 120 Common Redpoll *

Provisional Species (Species accepted but not enough evidence for Regular List. All are Review Species) Northern Fulmar Brown Booby Swainson's Hawk Mountain Plover Hudsonian Godwit Long-tailed Jaeger Roseate Tern White-winged Tern Virginia's Warbler Painted Redstart

Finally, only because Barbara made me do it, species which have not been seen in Georgia but will probably wind up here eventually. This list isn't all-inclusive either, and be advised that some of these are REAL long shots! Pacific Loon Snail Kite Short-tailed Hawk Prairie Falcon Bar-tailed Godwit Black-tailed Godwit Common Black-headed Gull California Gull Thayer's Gull Thick-billed Murre Long-billed Murrelet Atlantic Puffin Groove-billed Ani Lesser Nighthawk Vaux's Swift Green Violet-Ear Buff-bellied Hummingbird Western Wood-Pewee Ash-throated Flycatcher Fork-tailed Flycatcher Cave Swallow Rock Wren Townsend's Solitaire Smith's Longspur Bronzed Cowbird

In addition, there are a number of western species which occur with some regularity along the Gulf Coast, but I did not add them to this fantasy list because they seem to really stick close to the coast. Examples include such species as White-faced Ibis, Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher,Brown-crested Flycatcher, and Black-whiskered Vireo.

Good hunting!

Giff Beaton Marietta GA

Thanks, Giff!

Posted by: Barbara Passmore Valdosta GA Listowner, GABO-L