Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:32:52 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ruth <moriahrc@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Osprey nest

I have confirmed a sighting of an Osprey nest in Hall County. Today I was able to photograph the nest and one of the adult Osprey. I think the young have already flown.

The nest is located at Chestnut Mountain Elementary School. Take Exit 16 off of I-985. Then follow Hwy. 53 East. The school is a small school on your right several miles from the interstate exit. When you turn in at the school, stay to your right and follow the narrow paved drive that goes past the playground (with some parking spaces), continue on down the drive and you will pass the ball fields. Go to the end of the paved drive. (There is another ball field below the paved drive.) If you get out of your vehicle at the end of the paved drive, walk along the grassed area until you come to the edge of the fencing of the ball field where there is a wooden bench inside the fenced area. If you stand at the end of that fencing and look straight ahead toward the tree line and perhaps just a wee bit to the right, you will see 2 large pines covered with kudzu and to the right of the 2nd pine there is a dead pine tree that has virtually no side branches. In the very top of that dead pine (right at the tree line) you will see the large nest. Wait patiently for a little while and you will hear the Osprey calling. He makes frequent visits to the area and I was fortunate to have him light on the top of the lower ball field score board. He sat there and called for several minutes and gave me opportunity to positively identify him.

I am told that Walnut Creek runs through the woods close to this area.

Good luck in finding the nest and bird.

Good birding to all.

Ruth C.