Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:18:16 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         artworksbylydia <artworksbylydia@THEBEST.NET>
Subject:      Curious Swallow?

Hi everyone, Today is Friday and I did my normal ramble around Jekyll. As Ken and others have talked about, the swallows are on the move. Last week I had 4 species , Rough-winged, Cliff, Purple Martins mixed in a hugh group of Barn Swallows. I didn't have much time to really look at them for I was with a group so after the ramble I went back and the swallows were gone. So today I told Marjorie that we were going to look at swallows. I got her trying to look at Barn Swallows while I was scanning for others. I pick up on Rough-winged mixed in with all the Barn Swallow only really saw one Cliff Swallow. Now to the Swallow that was unidentified. It was smaller than the Barn and a little larger than the Rough-winged. It had a white rump. It was easily pick out because of the white rump. As I followed it, I could see the white underneath went up from the dark tail to white under tail coverts, white belly, white breast and defused into brown just below the bill. This brown muddied up the sides of the throat down the side of the neck and blended into to the white at the flanks. The under wings were a gray brown a little lighter than on the sides of the throat and neck. The head cheeks and back were brown not blue or red brown just a brown. The bird was seen in very strong and good light, no blues or iridescence ever showed on it, just brown. The bird work the entire south end in the dunes from the wreak to the 4-H center. It generally flew about 7 to 15 feet off the ground. It would sometime bank higher and then back to about this height. It would flap, flap flap its wings then soars for a while, then flap, flap, flap, and then soar. It was a different bird. Other Swallows present were Rough-winged, Cliff (not many of these), Barns and Purple Martins.. What are the possibilities of an immature Mangrove Swallow? Lydia Lydia C.Thompson St. Simons and Jekyll Islands