Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Jul 2000 23:48:16 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kristi Avera <kravera@DATASYS.NET>
Subject:      Grassy Pond

GABbers,

This afternoon at the Grassy Pond area in Lowndes County, there were at least 4 adult PURPLE GALLINULES and one juvenile at Lott's Pond. There were very actively foraging among the lily pads. There were also 3 adult WOOD STORKS that were quite sedentary. This is the first time I have seen Wood Storks at Grassy Pond.

A group of about 60 - 70 PURPLE MARTINS kept congregating on the tops of the live oak trees, then flying over the grassy areas, then back to the tree tops. They would then fly much higher and end up back in the trees again. Then feeding time over the meadows again. They all appeared to be females and/or juveniles. I observed this behavior for about 45 minutes. When I went back to that area an hour later, they were no longer there.

Also, at Grassy Pond were three fledgling BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES (females), one other female, and one adult male. The presumed fledglings were clumsily trying to catch insects in the lotus, pickerel weed, and hyacinths. After a short time, they would disappear into the thicket of button bush, wax myrtle, and red maple. The adult male (brown-eyed) carried food to the brush area and stayed for a few minutes. He came out again, got more food (cheese puffs from the picnic area, to be exact) and flew into a live oak to eat it. Any comments on the male feeding behavior? To my knowledge, we have few nesting records of the Boat-tailed Grackle in Lowndes County, so I considered this noteworthy.

35 species inland in a 2 mile radius during mid-afternoon at 95 degrees F is not too bad! Then I went across the border to pick up 41 species to finish up the afternoon.

Kristi

Kristi Avera Lake Park, GA kravera@datasys.net