Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:21:03 +0200
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mauro Morandin <mauro.morandin@TISCALINET.IT>
Subject:      Re: INSERT SASDATASETS into ORACLE Tables

Scott,

I don't believe that SAS has all the answers! SAS is really fast when doing stupid things on huge amounts of data -> I don't think there is anything which can beat a PROC MEANS or a data step merge in terms of efficiency........but have you ever tried to do a star schema join with SAS on multiple keys in one single view with SAS ... forget it ... use Oracle. SAS has done a lot in improving PROC SQL, it's becoming faster and more efficient with every new release of SAS, I haven't tried it on a big database in V8. In V6 I often had out of memory errors using PROC SQL... I had to find other less memory hungry solutions like a pair of SET and SET KEY=... I think you are better off understanding the strength of both systems and using them at their best. Cost may be an issue too.

Ciao. Mauro.

-- ------------------------------------------------------- MATRIX Castelfranco Veneto - ITALY email: mauro.morandin@tiscalinet.it ------------------------------------------------------- "Scott Chapal" <schapal@mail.jonesctr.org> ha scritto nel messaggio news:p1z0zw59r.fsf@mail.jonesctr.org... > paul_dorfman@HOTMAIL.COM (Paul Dorfman) writes: > > > Welcome to the wonderful world of the stellar Oracle performance! I hope it > > is worth those M$$ that migrated to the Oracle coffers. On a constructive > > note, please let me suggest that you should read the excellent SUGI 25 paper > > by our fellow sasler Dianne Rhodes "Migrate to ORACLE? I need my SAS > > Software!"? Suffices it to say that its conclusion consists of but a single > > sentence: "Stick with SAS". > > Please elaborate. We are also evaluating the coexistence of SAS and Oracle. > Is the paper available on-line somewhere? I searched www.sas.com but didn't > see it. > > > >I'm wondering if there are any tricks to tune this statement > > >in order to decrease the run time (estimations are approx > > >30h for 10000000 observations with 2 attributes each). > > How bad is this? Compared to what? > > Thanks. > -- > Scott E. Chapal