Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:04:05 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Greg  Woolridge <greg.woolridge@TAP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Essential-but-overlooked Technical skills in SAS?
Comments: To: Doug Zirbel <doug_zirbel@HOTMAIL.COM>

OK Doug, I'll put in my 2 cents.

When I am looking for a new programmer I expect him/her to at least be familair with the following:

data _null_ substr function scan function index function what a macro is and how to call it (how to write one is a plus) %let by statement where statement if, then, else do loops arrays proc freq in= option for data sets

Since we do a lot of report writing in my shop, I find myself looking for knowledge of proc report a lot more these days.

Hope this helps to get the discussion headed in the direction you want.

Greg M. Woolridge Manager, Study Programming TAP Pharmaceutical Products Inc. e-mail: greg.woolridge@tap.com phone: 847-582-2332 fax: 847-582-2403

Doug Zirbel <doug_zirbel@HO To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU TMAIL.COM> cc: Sent by: Subject: Essential-but-overlooked Technical skills in SAS? "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV .UGA.EDU>

09/07/00 11:10 AM Please respond to Doug Zirbel

I posted this query, with slightly different wording, last Friday, and was surprised by some of the results.

Namely, several of you stressed sound theoretical understanding of the software development process (syst dev life cycle, Carnegie-Mellon Software Engineering Institute Capability Maturity Model, documentation, requirements-gathering) etc.

In other words, there are some higher-level skills which should be part of "the basics." Point well taken.

Now, what about those strictly technical SAS skills? Yes, everyone should know how to write a data step, proc print etc etc, but...

don't you run into SAS programmers from time to time, who are simply not even aware of some function or proc that you use all the time? ... or, (null hypothesis) do all experienced SAS programmers already know 90% of the "most productive SAS technical skill set"?