Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:31:26 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Muhlbaier, Lawrence H." <lawrence.muhlbaier@DUKE.EDU>
Subject:   Re: SAS - Unix vs NT in batch

SAS in batch works fine on NT. I actually run the same programs both places without changing any code save my libname/filename type statements. Some caveats for large datasets:

--NT is likely slower than Unix here. No formal tests, just a feel. --If you do not store the data local, you will be using a lot of time just moving data across the network. Consider the NT server version of SAS. --The 'at' command in NT is a bit different. In particular, it requires administrator level rights to use, so our network admins won't allow us to use it. There are third party software products that provide the unix-like 'at' job scheduling features (though I haven't tried any). --File compression is available at the operating system level on NT (no more gzip'ing), but I have had some problems with > 2GB files.

Doc

-- Lawrence H. ('Doc') Muhlbaier muhlb001@mc.duke.edu Assistant Research Professor Duke University Medical Center 919-668-8774 (office) DUMC 3865 919-383-0595 (home) Durham, NC 27710-7510 919-668-7057 (FAX)