Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:18:15 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Wexler <Michael.Wexler@E-DIALOG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Am I the only one with this problem?
Comments: To: Frederic Vachon <fwachon@HOTMAIL.COM>

So we all understand, Windows 2k now includes, by default, what used to be an addon product called Windows Terminal Services. This is an attempt by MS to include "X-style" functionality (in Unix terms) or duplicate what they used to license from Citrix. It basically (with limitations) allows multiple users to use any program installed on the server without installing it locally. Instead, your run it in a little app window on your client box, but its really running in the background on the server.

B/C of that, many programs are now restricting their ability to install on win2k server editions, with the fear that they will lose out on server licensing fees.. Even if you turn off the WTS service, many developers feel that temptation is just too great, and trust is too much to ask for. However, win2k is still new, and as developers become more familiar with it, they will see that there are more than one way to solve any problem.

For example, a better way for SPSS and other vendors to go is to allow single user versions to install, and at runtime, just check if WTS is running, and just not load if it is. That way, if you are forced to use server for some other database products that won't install on professional, you can still use SPSS as a single user like you wanted to. Its easy code to write, about 20 lines of C++, and I am surprised SPSS hasn't done this. I'm sure they will at some point in the future.

Good luck, Michael

-----Original Message----- From: Frederic Vachon [mailto:fwachon@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:47 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Am I the only one with this problem?

I recently upgraded to Windows 2000 advanced server from NT server 4.0. The problem is, SPSS (single licence) won't install on this OS. At installation, I get this message: "Single-user licences cannot be installed on servers running NT Terminal Services", Since I'm not running Terminal Services on my server, I called SPSS Technical Support. The answser (from Mike Tong) was simply that SPSS (single-user licence) won't install on NT advanced server and I should call my account manager to get a SPSS Server licence.

I call my account manager at SPSS (Charlie Major 212-447-5529) and we talked about this. His answer was that I had to buy a new licence (a server licence $$$) if I wanted to use SPSS with this OS. We got in an argument over this because I was stating that my licence was working fine on NT 4. He said they were not responsable of the OS I choose to use.

In the end, he hung up the phone on me. I was really mad last Friday when it happened and had time to cool down since. Even thought, I still can't use the software on my computer.

Fred

[text/html]