Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:51:37 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM
Subject:      Re: Unix Long File
Comments: To: Gary Ross <gary_ross@mgic.com>

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 07:32:23PM +0000, Gary Ross (gary_ross@MGIC.COM) wrote: > I have received files from a outside client. I am running Unix Sas 8. One > of the files, for instance, is a 56+ meg string on one line.I have a > program which reads the files just fine until the size gets too big and I > encounter a "out-of-memory" fatal error. I have tried "-memsize MAX" at Sas > invocation with no success. Anyone know how to process the flat file so > that Sas doesn't have to read the whole file into memory to process it? Any > help would be appreciated.

What's output of:

$ ulimit -a $ <system command for free memory and swap>

First tells you what your user resource allocations are. SAS can't go above these.

Second command (varies by system, try "apropos memory" or try any of "free", "vmstat", "meminfo", or just the top few lines from "top" output) will tell you system physical and virtual memory.

-- Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http://www.netcom.com/~kmself Evangelist, Opensales, Inc. http://www.opensales.org What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand? There is no K5 cabal http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/ http://www.kuro5hin.org GPG fingerprint: F932 8B25 5FDD 2528 D595 DC61 3847 889F 55F2 B9B0

[application/pgp-signature]