Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2000 04:00:02 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         David Schreiber <david_schreiber@MY-DEJA.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS-> XML .. Great!..... Now What?

In article <39DE4931.12D53618@1stconnect.com>, Stephen Hirsch <sth@1stconnect.com> wrote:

>What you say is true, as far as parsing syntax is concerned. My point > is that parsing syntax (even so far as the entire effort of coding) is > a tiny proportion of the effort necessary to deliver an app. The creation > of the DTD is much, much more difficult and more important. It is the data > model, after all.

I wouldn't call writing a parser easy. Unless the data is very simple (such as a CSV file), a parser can be a very complex exercise. Even the simplest tree based data structure can take hours to code for. Depending on the language it could be a real pain (try woking with a binary tree in SQL...)

Creating a good data model can also be difficult, but that depends on the scale of the data you're dealing with. You can create a relatively simple data structure in XML and have that data available to other apps in hours - and bypass the whole mess of worring about whether your other apps can parse your data format (as long as you have an API handy).

-- http://www.caverock.net.nz/~davids Welcome to nowhere fast. Nothing here ever lasts.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.