Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:39:24 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   paula <icj808@USWEST.NET>
Subject:   keep= vs. Keep statement

My code looks like this [ data set1 set2;

infile.......; input A $1 B 2.2 C 3.2;/*A can only take a or b*/ if A = 'a' then do; x=b+c; keep a x; output set1; end; if A = 'b' then do; y=b+c; keep a y; output set2; end;

]

I simply want to keep only TWO variables in the resulting subsets. But the result is set1 also retains y flooded with missing values, while set2 has variable included full of missing values as well.

I know the solution is to use Keep= in the Data statement when 'declaring' the two data sets. Could somebody explain why my original code does not work?

Thanks.

Sincerely

Paula D