Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:31:51 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "F.J. Kelley" <jkelley@ARCHES.UGA.EDU>
Subject:   Re: SAS Program and JCL skeleton HELP
Comments:   To: Chris Smith <cpsmith@AGFINANCE.COM>

JCL skeleton? well, there might be a problem with what your system knows SAS as (SAS, SAS8, SAS6, SASTST, whatevertheheck). Here is a sample, but this can vary a lot

//jobname JOB stuff //STEP1 EXEC SAS //MYDATA DD DSN=MY.DATA.FILE,DISP=SHR //SYSIN DD * data test ; infile mydata ; input ....

JCL is _never_ in lower case. "stepnames" (jobname, stepname, ddname) are 8 (max) alphanumeric chars, begin with alpha. Don't let your JCL get past col 70 (ok, 71) or it will be seen as 'continued' on the next line. usually only a dd-stmt will be continued and it is easiest to break at a natural place: where there is a comma: //NEWFILE DD DSN=NEW,FILE,DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE), // UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,5,2)), // DCB=(LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=8000,RECFM=FB)

Use the minimum JCL you need. A dataset is NEW only once. if you are writing one, don't leave the complete jcl above in your code on a second run. You can comment out lines 1 and 2 ("//* "), and change the "disp" to "DISP=SHR ,CATLG,DELETE)," -- I just overtyped the "(NEW" ... JCL stops on the line when it encounters a blank...never sees the rest.

be careful writing to a PDS that you NOT include DCB info as the info on the JCL overrides anything stored on the disk or tape. if you use incorrect DCB info, you will overwrite the "DSCB" and the file may be unusable.

Gary DeWard Brown has a _very_ handy book on JCL. look for it or go to Amazon and order it. Good luck, and hth --Joe