LISTSERV at the University of Georgia
Menubar Imagemap
Home Browse Manage Request Manuals Register
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:38:05 -0500
Reply-To:     "C. Mitchell Dayton" <cd4@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "C. Mitchell Dayton" <cd4@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: partial correlations
Comments: To: Friedrich Funke <Friedrich.Funke@RZ.UNI-JENA.DE>
In-Reply-To:  <>

I would use the Hotelling t test (Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 1940, volume 11, p 271-283) and adjust the degrees of freedom by 1 (i.e., n-4 rather than n-3). On the off chance that you don't have the 1940 volume of the Annals, a more "modern" reference is H. Walker & J. Lev, Statistical Inference, Holt, 1953. Also, you can find the formula (in a PDF file) on my course web site: Perhaps someone can provide more recent references.

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:00:06 +0100 Friedrich Funke <Friedrich.Funke@RZ.UNI-JENA.DE> wrote:

> hi, > i want to test the difference of two partial correlations. the "dependent" > variable is the same and the controled variable is the same as well. any > hints? > > r(ab.c) vs r(db.c) > thanx in advance, > fritz. > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > dipl.psych. friedrich funke > > friedrich-schiller-universität jena > institut für psychologie > methodenlehre und evaluationsforschung > steiger 3 haus 1 > d-07743 jena > > tel.: +49 / (0)3641 / 945-235 > fax.: +49 / (0)3641 / 945-232 > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---------------------- C. Mitchell Dayton, Professor Department of Measurement & Statistics and Joint Program in Survey Methodology

Back to: Top of message | Previous page | Main SPSSX-L page