Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:08:47 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Barry Walton <bwalton@MARAUDER.MILLERSV.EDU>
Subject:   Report writing - grid-style data for test scoring

Hello SAS-Lers,

I'm running SAS 6.12 (batch mode) on a Solaris box.

I have been working on a test scoring program for several months now. I finally have a working version (and I thank the many of you who answered my earlier queries).

Now the faculty want a series of reports - one for each student - that can be handed out to the students who took the exam. The summary part for the faculty member is working.

Basically, I have a large dataset that has the student ID, name, answers to individual questions, the key (correct answers), weights for each question, and a 'binary' grid (1 if they got the question correct; 0 otherwise). I am trying to design a report that looks like this :

Student Number Number Percent Section Section OBS Number Student Name Correct Wrong Right Percentile Rank

3 000000000 BUSH GW 17 8 68 67 10

This part I have working (simply using PROC PRINT with a PAGEBY name statement).

I would like to *add* this to the above line for each student, summarizing how they did individually :

Legend Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Key A B A C B Answer A C A B B Binary 1 0 1 0 1 Weight 3 1 1 2 1 Total_points 3 0 1 0 1

Note that key is the correct answer, answer is the student response, binary is the corrct(1)/wrong(0) grid, weight is the item weight, and total points is weight times the binary variable.

If I use a simple proc print, I get the following messy output :

Student output - page by name 14:31 Monday, November 20, 2000 3

C P P O E R R W R C K B O N R R C N R K K K K K K K K K E Q B B B B B B B B B I O O O O O O O O O P O S A E O E T A E E E E E E E E E Y Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q I I I I I I I I I N P P P P P P P P P T B S M C N N L N Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 1 Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q 1 N N N N N N N N N 1 T T T T T T T T T 1 S N E T G T E K 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

3 000000000 BUSH GW 17 8 68 67 10 3 1 2 2 4 2 3 4 3 1 4 1 2 2 3 4 4 4 3 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

To make it worse, the number of questions (and therefore the number of key items, weights, binary grid, etc. varies from test to test. It can be as high as 100.

Does anyone have a manual, suggestion, anything to try to get this format for the report. I have RTFM on proc tabluate, proc report, proc summary, and proc print, and don't think anyone of these will help.

The only thing I can think of is using a bunch of put statments and possibly macros to write an output file - not an easy task...

E-mail : bwalton@marauder.millersville.edu Barry.Walton@millersville.edu

Phone : (717) 871 - 5888