Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:42:02 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         harding faulk <hfaulk@CHEYNEY.EDU>
Subject:      CONVERTING STRING TO NUMERIC VARIABLES

I'm converting course names that are string variables into CIP codes that are numeric variables. Initially, the Recode function worked perfectly. Then I expanded the list of recodes. Once this list was finished I got the following message: "A string variable cannot be recoded to a numeric value. Consider the CONVERT or INTO options. This command not executed." I checked the an SPSS syntax manual, release 6.0 and revised the recode statement. It's still not working.

Here is a truncated version of the script: Get File=C:\CCAR99\SDMSU99.sav'. EXECUTE RECODE NUCOURSE('XEA'=1304) ('PHE'=3103) ('XEF'=1312) into cipcrs. VARIABLE LABELS cipcrs'cip course'. EXECUTE.

After the error message, I revised the script:

Get File=C:\CCAR99\SDMSU99.sav'. EXECUTE RECODE #NUCOURSE (CONVERT) ('XEA'=1304) ('PHE'=3103) ('XEF'=1312) into cipcrs. VARIABLE LABELS cipcrs'cip course'. EXECUTE.

This didn't work either. SPSS didn't recognize "#NUCOURSE." What did I do wrong?

[text/html]