Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:19:42 +1300
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Stanley <don_stanley@XTRA.CO.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Remotely detecting batch failure
Comments: To: DavidJohnson@HALIFAX.CO.UK

I think there is a much simpler approach. This is what I do for some of our jobs (UNIX to MVS, same principle).

Start with a new SAS step that FTPs a file to UNIX (NT). That step sends an empty file to UNIX. The filename is some standard set of qualifiers, followed by <mvs jobname><MVS jobnum>.STARTED.D<MVS timestamp>. Then another step with your usual JCL and code. No change required. You follow this with a separate step that runs only if the prior step finished RC=0. That step does nothing more than FTP a file to UNIX. In fact the step is identical to the first, but issues a filename with ENDED.D<MVS timestamp>.

It becomes a simple matter to write some AF code that either at the click of a button, or upon user logon, checks for any jobs that only have a STARTED.<timestamp> file and reports any that are looking suspect -- eg have been running more than 30 minutes. You can even get flashy by creating a PARM file with each jobname and expected runtime (all on UNIX) and do a lookup on this, reporting when the interval for that job has been exceeded.

In general remotely checking jobs isn't easy. In general, provided your remote platform can identify the job running, the above is a generic solution that should work everywhere. The equivalent of batch job steps may just be a SAS process that starts another SAS process, or a macro at the start and end of a job. I use JCL to do this because it nicely divides my logic into checking stuff and reporting stuff.

You can get MVS jobnum from JFCB. Look for the JFCB paper at my SASTIPS site in the sig below. MVS jobname is &sysjobid. MVS timestamp should be available from SAS functions, a date should also ensure uniqueness unless you have a high batch turnover.

By the way, build some mechanism in to delete the empty FTP files that are building up. Eg part of the AF remote submission could be to check if any files with the same jobname exist and delete them, cos they are obsolete by then.

The above assumes that MVS jobnames are not repeated in different remotely submitted reports.

Don

-- Don Stanley, B.SC, Dip O.R.S, MNZCS Director, Sysware Consulting Group Box 634, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND http://www.sysware.co.nz EMAIL:: don_stanley@xtra.co.nz

Author:: Beyond the obvious with SAS Screen Control Language. Author:: Solutions for your GUI Applications Development Using SAS/AF FRAME Technology

http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/don_home.htm Genealogy:: http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/family.htm SAS Tips:: http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/sastips.htm