Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:02:01 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Casazza <casazzam@ADELPHI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Help Reading Portable File
Comments: To: Michael Kruger <aa3657@WAYNE.EDU>

Hi Michael,

I went and downloaded the file from Univ. Nebraska's web site and I was able to read it without any funky convolutions or third party programs. I'll go through how I did it and maybe you can see where you're running into a problem.

1.) I downloaded the file using IE by right clicking on the link and choosing the "save target" option, gave it a location and told it OK.

2.) Once I had the file on my hard drive, the first thing I had to do was rename it to get rid of the text extension. I used the standard Windows rename command and removed the ".txt" leaving the ".por" extension.

3.) I then opened SPSS and made sure that the temp directory in options was looking at c:\temp and not the temp file under WINNT.

4.) I then used syntax to open the file. The syntax was:

import file='c:\download\big1.por'. exe.

The execute shouldn't be necessary, but when having problems I try to cover all the bases--I didn't try it without the execute since it worked with it.

5.) Now, here is where you may be having the problem. I'm running an 800MHz PIII with 256MB of RAM, Windows 2000 and SPSS 10.0.7 and that file took a LONG time to import. After reading about 12,300 cases the computer looked like it was locked up (screen blanked in sections, lost some additional video representation on the task/tool bars, &c), but it still said "Running Import" at the bottom. I went and got a cup of coffee and kept waiting. I didn't time it, but I must have smoked an entire cigarette before that file opened, but it did open.

I suggest trying the import again and just letting the machine run until it decides to stop regardless of what else it might say.

FWIW, when you save the file as a ".sav" file and then reopen it, that too takes quite a while--I just tried it.

HTH

Mark Casazza home: mvcasazza@earthlink.net work: casazza@adelphi.edu

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything." -Joseph Stalin ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Kruger" <aa3657@WAYNE.EDU> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.spssx-l To: <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 8:38 AM Subject: Re: Help Reading Portable File