Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:47:10 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "David L. Ward" <dward@INTERNEXT-INC.COM>
Subject:      Re: JAVA replacing SAS? and J2EE...
Comments: cc: Jonathan Goldberg <jonathan@MATLOCK.WUSTL.EDU>

>>The poster below raises what is for me a personal issue. I have so far managed to avoid learning both SAS and JAVA. But I have just started a new job at a shop with a fairly large investment in AF/SCL code. So, I assumed that I would have to go ahead an learn SCL. Now it is suggested that SCL is being replaced by JAVA. Is it best to skip SCL as far as possible and go straight to JAVA? What does that cost me in the near term? I need to plan training soon. I have two co-workers who are also facing a similar decision. Any thoughts as to what is best to do? Jonathan

In my humble opinion, In the long term Java will be a better investment. In the short term, if your shop already has an investment in AF apps that need to be maintained or built upon, you may want to learn AF. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that SCL v8 is starting to look and feel like Java. The way classes and methods are used, the way they are defined, the syntax, ... If we have one more release of SCL I'll bet it will be some kind of SCL/Java hybrid. So learning AF would definitely not be a waste because much of your knowlege (and possibly even code) can be translated into the Java world.

Good luck with your decision, David Ward

------------------------------------ President InterNext, Inc. Software for the Internet Generation ------------------------------------