Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:21:51 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jit Bhattacharya <jit.bhattacharya@PRUDENTIAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS/Intrnet

Mike Davis and Ming gave me some tips on SAS/Intrnet - but I guess I need to go into some details - problem is, I do not know them all, but I will try.

Our company has a Unix server with 4 processers and about 100 GB of space - we have very large datasets. we are also thinking about allocating an NT machine to act as a web server. Our intent is to explore possibilities to use SAS/Intrnet. Currently we have a SAS/AF application that is used by 100 users to access the Unix datasets. Our experience with this 'fat client' has not been all positive, so we are thinking of switching to SAS/Intrnet, if feasible. Our datasets have , on average, 4 million obs, with some with as many as 50 million obs. Our current application enables drilldown on MDDBs that are viewed with an EIS object. We would like to have this capability with Intrnet. other than this, our basic need is for users to choose certain parameters, and start SCL/SAS code to show a report. We wanted to know what are the implications of moving to Intrnet. I would say, at any given time, not more than 7-8 users would run reports. Should we be getting Appdev Studio? or can we do without it?

Jit