Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:59:16 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         JA <donotreply@INTERBULLETIN.BOGUS>
Subject:      SAS Question

I'm using SAS V6.8 in the mainframe platform. My input flat file contains a field defined as packed-decimal. When I tried to compare it with literal zero, it does not give me the correct evaluation even if the field actually contains a zero value packed-decimal.

e.g.,

INPUT @01 varnum PD8.3; /* varnum has X'000000000000000F' */ ... IF (varnum NE 0.00) or (varnum NE .) THEN varvalid = 'N'; ELSE varvalid = 'Y';

I got varlid equal to 'N'. Why?

I was able to go around it by changing the condition to : IF ((varnum * 1) NE 0)

Why do I have to perform a numeric operation before it arives to the correct answer?

Thanks for your help in advance.

_______________________________________________ Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com