Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:20:17 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J." <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: %nrstr or similar
Comments: To: Casey Pierce <casey@SDAC.HARVARD.EDU>

> From: Casey Pierce [mailto:casey@SDAC.HARVARD.EDU] > I was wondering if there's a macro function that undoes > %nrstr. What I'm trying to do is define a macro variable (OUTTABLE) > based upon the values of a couple other macro variables > whose values will change. I can't define OUTTABLE after the > changing macro vars because it, too, will occasionally change. > What I have right now is: > %let OUTTABLE = %nrstr(dar_&STUDYNUM._&PLA..lst); > %let STUDYNUM = 388; > %let DERIV = PLA; > <then the main macro calls OUTTABLE> > %let STUDYNUM = 398; > %let DERIV = PEL; > <then run the main macro again>

It is unclear to me why you are whining about being unable to use this statement again: %let OUTTABLE = dar_&STUDYNUM._&PLA..lst; If, in fact, this declaration is a constant declaration then put it in a file by itself and %include it

> The problem is that &OUTTABLE only resolves in file statements.

then why are you bothering to define a macro variable with this value? you are using two steps: 1. define OUTTABLE 2. reference OUTTABLE in file statement when you could just use: reference dar_&STUDYNUM._&PLA..lst in file statement

> I have some printtos involving the variable that don't resolve > as well as some UNIX commands that also aren't resolving. > Is there a command to force resolution or can anyone see another > way around this?

<advertisement> %include or %macro? this concept is explained in my SUGI-26 paper in Beginning Tutorials: A Beginner's Tour of a Project using SAS(r) Macros see you in Long Beach! </advertisement>

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov OpSys: WinNT Ver: 8.1 ---> cheerful provider of UNTESTED SAS code!*! <--- archives: http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sas-l.html By using your intelligence you can sometimes make your problems twice as complicated. -- Ashleigh Brilliant