Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:10:44 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: import on unix

on Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:47:33PM -0700, Pamela Mery (pmery@CCSF.CC.CA.US) wrote: > Hi folks. I have a hopefully simple question. I mainly use PC SAS but am > providing a program to an unexperienced person who has access to Unix SAS > only. I have an import procedure which works on PC but I cannot get it to > work on Unix. Help! Program and error message follow: > > 3 proc import datafile='~/enroll1.txt' > 4 out=enroll > 5 dbms=dlm > 6 replace; > 7 delimiter='09'x; > 8 run; > > ERROR: Cannot open X display. Check display name/server access > authorization.

How are you running SAS on Unix? Does the user have an X session (graphical Unix session) running? What's the rest of the log show?

> Alternately, if I use the data step, is there a way to force it to use the > first row of the flat file as the variable names?

Possilby through a SAS import wizard. I've usually tackled this programmatically.

-- Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/ What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand? There is no K5 cabal http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/ http://www.kuro5hin.org

[application/pgp-signature]