Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:14:49 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Crawford <Peter@CRAWFORDSOFTWARE.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: flat files and end-of-file characters

This is probably a case for that recent technical document from SI about reading mvs files over FTP. Download it from the SI with FTP link http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/technote/ts642.html

TS-642 Reading EBCDIC Files on ASCII Systems

This Technical document goes into details about special solutions for reading variable length data files which have to be read without the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion provided by default FTP downloads (I'm talking binary or type= image). There seems to be quite a bit more to it than just using binary transfer and S370Fxxx and $EBCDIC informats.

Good luck

Fehd, Ronald J. <rjf2@CDC.GOV> writes >> From: Miller, Jeremy T. [mailto:zyp9@CDC.GOV] >> I am reading in some very large flat file with SAS. For >> example, maybe one >> file has 400k records, however, SAS is only getting maybe 1/3 >> of that. Just >> to check, I open the flat file with Ultra-Edit and look at >> the last record >> SAS read in. It seems that there are end-of-file characters >> embedded within >> the ASCII data (e.g., G 07CC107091D1). So, far, I have just >> been replacing >> them within Ultra-Edit and updating the file. Is there any >> way to have SAS >> ignore the squares when reading in the data? > >another happy UE user! Hi! > >I'm not sure about getting past the end-of-file > >on WinDoze you'll want to be using the infile options >pad lrecl=<your logical record length> >you can get the lrecl after the first time you run your job by looking at >the notes sections >SAS tells you the longest and shortest records. >set lrecl to the max value seen. > >so aside from kludging the data files your self >why are you accepting, let alone receiving, such cobbled files? > >Ron Fehd

-- Peter Crawford