Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:04:14 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:   SAS bug: Re: final X display message
Comments:   To: Pamela Mery <pmery@ccsf.cc.ca.us>

on Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:42:10AM -0700, Pamela Mery (pmery@ccsf.cc.ca.us) wrote: > SAS tech support came through with the -noterminal suggestion just a > little while after Gregg did...

File a bug report against SAS.

It's not clear from the usage note that this is considered a bug, and there is no priority assigned.

An application that doesn't have a valid X display to run to shouldn't try to open a display.

Under Unix, the presence or absence of a display is indicated by whether or not the $DISPLAY environment variable is set.

It's valid for SAS to complain if there *is* a $DISPLAY value but it is invalid or you lack authorization to access it (long story, see 'xauth' and 'rhosts' man pages for info).

It's valid for the user to be able to specify "-noterminal" as an option when s/he _is_ working in an X environment with a valid $DISPLAY value.

There's no reason the user should be _required_ to supply additional information to the program when the state is available from the operating environment. If SAS needs to acquire this information, it should check this value at initialization and set its internal representation of -noterminal appropriately.

This is a bug.

You're more than welcome to quote me on this.

> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:48:54 -0400 > From: SAS Technical Support <support@sas.com> > To: Pamela Mery <pmery@ccsf.cc.ca.us> > Subject: SAS Tracking Number us5487080 > > SN-003610 USAGE NOTE > > ERROR: Cannot open X display when running PROCEXPORT/IMPORT in batch > mode > > > Product: Base SAS > Component: General System Issues > Priority: N/A > > > When trying to use PROC EXPORT or PROC IMPORT in batch mode on UNIX > systems, you may receive the following error: > > ERROR: Cannot open X display. Check the name/server access > authorization. > > This happens because, even in batch mode, these procedures try to > display the SAS SESSION MANAGER icon, which requires a valid X display. > > To use these procedures in batch mode, you will need to invoke SAS with > the following option: > > sas myprogram.sas -noterminal > > > Keywords: > export import noterminal > error: cannot open x display when running procexport/import in batch > mode > 003610 3610 > > SAS Note Revised On: 06NOV00 > > > System Version Reported Version Fixed > > AIX/6000 8 TSM0 > Compaq Tru64 UNIX 8 TSM0 > HP-UX Operating Systems 8 TSM0 > Intel ABI 8 TSM0 > Solaris 8 TSM0 > > > No Fixes Available

-- Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/ What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand? There is no K5 cabal http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/ http://www.kuro5hin.org

[application/pgp-signature]