Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 May 2001 10:53:56 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Petruso Steven V <svpetrus@NEWWESTENERGY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hot fixes, quality control, etc.
Comments: To: RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM

A little birdie just sent me an email ID to vent these issues to, here is the text from the note:

"If you send email to suggest@sas.com, your message will be available for all SAS employees to read."

- Little Birdie

I'm going to send a note.

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Rhoads [mailto:RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM] Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 8:31 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Hot fixes, quality control, etc.

SPECIFIC QUESTION:

There have been a large number of "hot fixes" to version 8.1 of SAS. For many of them, the associated SAS Note(s) indicate that the underlying problem is either not fixed yet, or is perhaps fixed in version 9 or in "TSLEVEL 2M0". So, if someone is (1) running 8.1 with all fixes applied, and (2) receives and installs 8.2, does this wind up "breaking" these hot fixes? Will there be parallel hot fixes for 8.2 that we should await?

RELATED NOTES/GRIPES:

Anybody else out there besides ourselves getting confused, confounded and concerned about the blizzard of problems and hot fixes with recent SAS software, particularly 8.1?

First, is it just me, or has the number of serious problems seemed to increase with recent versions? We certainly expected V7 to have a lot of things floating around, since it was the first release with much of the code rewritten to handle long var names and lengths, ODS, etc. However, we had hoped that things would settle down greatly with 8.0 (which we considered more of a "7.1"), 8.1, and subsequent releases. So far, this has not seemed to be the case. 8.1 for instance, even just in Base SAS, seems to have quite a few "serious" problems, which to me is some basic functionality that doesn't work, or some reasonably plausible code that produces incorrect output.

The SAS folks have certainly been responsive to dealing with these (many of them, at least) once they are found: if I'm reading the table on the SAS web site (http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/v81fp.html) correctly, there have been over 30 hot fixes just to Base SAS, judging from the numbering scheme.

But, of course, dealing with all of these fixes, especially in a multi-platform environment, presents its own set of problems. Even ignoring the newer products, this seems like much more of an effort than it was several years ago.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated ...

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com