Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2001 20:08:55 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Ephraim I. Schechter" <eischech@UNITY.NCSU.EDU>
Subject:      new Excel => import problems

Our network techs just installed an Excel upgrade, to Excel97 SR-2. Proc Import now brings Excel files into SAS with all character fields set to $255 instead of to the length of the Excel field. This happens whether I specify dbms=excel97, dbms=excel2000, or just leave dbms= out of the proc import statement. I'm using SAS 8.01 (TS level 01M0) under WinNT. Microsoft's Data Access Components got overwritten with an older version by the Excel upgrade, but reinstalling MDAC v2.5 doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to make the import read lengths properly? I've got a suite of programs with a lot of import steps, and am trying to avoid adding code that controls variable length to each one.

Thanks -- Ephraim

-------------------------------------------------- Ephraim Schechter Associate Director, University Planning & Analysis North Carolina State University eischech@unity.ncsu.edu