Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:27:16 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Smith, Curtis, Mr, DCAA" <Curtis.Smith@DCAA.MIL>
Subject:      Re: three options
Comments: To: "Terjeson, Mark" <TerjeMW@DSHS.WA.GOV>

I believe those are MVS options, not Windows options. Are you using them under MVS? I'll be real disappointed if they no longer work under MVS (I expect v8 MVS to be installed in a couple months).

Glad to see you are using Michael's book. I found the section on optimizing blocksizes and buffers to be a great help.

-----Original Message----- From: Terjeson, Mark [mailto:TerjeMW@DSHS.WA.GOV] Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 9:23 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: three options

Hi Paula,

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using 8.2 and all three fail.

<excerpt from log>

1 NOTE: SCL source line. 2 OPTIONS MEMRPT STATS FULLSTATS; ------ 13 ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, MEMRPT.

2 ! OPTIONS MEMRPT STATS FULLSTATS; ----- 13 ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, STATS.

2 ! OPTIONS MEMRPT STATS FULLSTATS; --------- 13 ERROR 13-12: Unrecognized SAS option name, FULLSTATS.

-----Original Message----- From: Paula M. Adkins [mailto:PAdkins@CHECKFREE.COM] Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:18 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: For Paul: Real & CPU Time

Paul, I just started reading "Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment" by Michael A. Raithel and found the code below helpful for determining CPU. His book indicates "elapsed time" is the actual "wall clock" time it takes to complete a program, task or job. It also says that elapsed time is referred to as "response time" in interactive applications and "turnaround time" in batch applications. This book is written for the non-programmer (me) to understand.

The first chapter covers performance, efficiency and tuning. I'm actually going to try his suggestion of taking a baseline measurement and a modification measurement after changes in my programming to see if I can improve the CPU time and the EXCP count time.

If you want to track CPU within your job, type the following in your SAS program:

OPTIONS MEMRPT STATS FULLSTATS;

You'll get the following output after each PROC and DATA step:

The PROCEDURE FREQ used the following resources: CPU time - 00:00:00.02 Elapsed time - 00:00:00.08

Vector affinity time - 00:00:00.00 Vector usage time - 00:00:00.00 RSM Hiperspace time - 00:00:00.00 EXCP count - 23 Task memory - 3471K (119K data, 3352K program) Total memory - 8509K (2592K data, 5917K program)

Hi SAS-L,

I have to check for various testing purposes how long a batch program takes to run on V6.12 v V8. Now on version 8 it CPU and Real time appear automatically but with v 6.12 they don't. Are there options i need to set? I have tried stimer and fullstimer but they don't give overall cpu and real time.

Thanks in advance, Paul.