Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:43:02 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Eileen Farrelly <Eileen_Farrelly@PCIT.COM>
Subject:   managing a large number of datasets

I have pharmacy and medical claims from about 13 different health plans around the country that I need to organize in the most efficient way for pooling all data. Right now, they all are individual pipe-delimited text files (one for medical claims and one for pharmacy claims per plan). I am planning to create relational databases to put on SQL server such that I have a patient table with one unique record per patient with plan ID, patient ID, gender and DOB for all patients in all plans; a medical claims table with plan ID-patient ID as the key and all medical claims variables; and a pharmacy claims table with plan ID-patient ID as the key and all pharmacy claims variables. I have not accessed data set up in this way before and wondered what people's experience has been with being able to analyze data in SAS that is set up like this. Since I have not started the process of making the relational SQL server tables, I thought I'd find out if this is the best way to do this. Any information will be greatly appreciated! The volume of data combined from all health plans will be very large (approximately 25 million medical claims and 15-20 million pharmacy claims)

Thanks, Eileen