Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:51:53 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         worldcup86 <wenyud@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: recode mixed character/numerical data

Thnaks for the two repsonses to my question.

I have tried the easier proc format and was able to convert the characters to "1", "2", and "3" (also character variables). But then the "123s" wouldn't convert to numeric ones using input(var, 2) command.

What I finally did was using the "if ... then ..." command and converted the inutps to character variables of "123". then I used the input(var,2) command and converted "1" into numeric 1, etc.

There maybe a better oen for handling this. But at least the one I am using now is feasible.

By the way, I need to convert to numerical 1s because I want to run subsequent analysis using proc means. Maybe I should I have made it clear.

Thanks again.