Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:13:20 -0400
Reply-To: "Nakonetchna, Nadia" <nnakonet@UBSPAINEWEBBER.COM>
Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From: "Nakonetchna, Nadia" <nnakonet@UBSPAINEWEBBER.COM>
Subject: SAS/DB2 (Mainframe-PC Connection)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
I need to research and evaluate the usefulness, appropriateness,
efficiency, compatibility of SAS/DB2 software.
Currently, the following three steps are needed in order to access
large DB2 (IBM's relational database management system for OS/390)
tables on PC SAS:
- extract data from DB2 tables in the form of flat files using CAI
PLATINUM software (or other tools) on mainframe
- transfer flat files from mainframe to PC
- convert flat files into SAS data sets on PC for ad-hoc analysis.
As we know, SAS/DB2 product in connection with SAS/CONNECT allows
users to read DB2 data into PC in one step.
My questions are :
1. Can you recommend any materials/information which help evaluate
on a general level
- challenges of SAS/DB2 SAS/CONNECT (SAS/ACCESS) systems.
What is the quickest way to get a paper from 1994 SEUGI.
I need to locate "The SAS System vs DB2 as a Relational DBMS
for End Users: Three Corporations with three Different solutions" by
Steve Scott from 1994 SEUGI.
2. Should SAS/DB2 be accompanied with SAS/ACCESS Software?
3. Is it cost-effective to make this switch according to your
I greatly appreciate your opinion and help.
UBS Paine Webber, Inc.