Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:11:49 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Crawford <Peter@CRAWFORDSOFTWARE.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: VARIABLE LENGTH RECORD

Crystal Vierhout <vierhout@unity.ncsu.edu> writes > Hello, > > I really need a quick answer from an expert. I have a variable > length binary file. I am unable to read in the second record or > the file. My maximum record length is 5850. My minimum record > length is 3271. Does anyone see what I am doing wrong? I've tried > it without the blksize and get the same result. HELP!! > > > FILENAME FILE1 'C:\PROGRAMS\ACCOUNT\DICKFILE.TXT' ; > > DATA HERDS; > > INFILE FILE1 RECFM=V LRECL=5850 BLKSIZE=5850; > > INPUT @1 HERDCODE S370FPD7.; > > run; > > Crystal Vierhout > Dairy Records Management Systems

Hi Crystal I think you should read the technical document at http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/technote/ts642.html TS-642 Reading EBCDIC Files on ASCII Systems

This talks about the challenges you'll face trying to read that binary download ..... It suggests you may be able to fix your problem with infile options recfm=s370vb lrecl=5858; (having a value larger than your data may be necessary to support block and/or record definition words ... and the 8 bytes here make little difference to memory usage)

good luck

-- Peter Crawford