Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:09:26 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Using sas to automate file editing.
Comments: To: seeliger@MERCURY.COR.EPA.GOV

seeliger <seeliger@MERCURY.COR.EPA.GOV> wrote:

>However, Peter Crawford suggests that care and understanding are >sufficient to make in-place editing possible. The code below is more or >less along the lines he suggested, and it works (again, at least locally). >I'm not sure messing about with _infile_ is such a good idea, even if it >works, largely because I don't know quite how _infile_ is populated, or >what it might be used for internally; hence using it seems 'careless'. >Any thoughts?

_INFILE_ in version 8 is different from _INFILE_ in version 6. The V8 online doc says

Like other SAS variables, you can update the _INFILE_ variable in an assignment statement.

So you should be OK.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Development Manager, Technical Group METRICS Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA