Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:31:35 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         greg warnick <gwarnick@SNAP.FHCRC.ORG>
Subject:      SAS-L FAQ

Tim Berryhill maintained the original FAQ. A search of the UGA site on Berryhill and FAQ found this post from Sally Muller prior to SUGI 25, prepared by Joe Kelley

SAS-L FAQ SUGI 25 Indianapolis, IN April 9-12, 2000

Q1) What is SAS-L?

SAS-L is a mailing list devoted to discussions about SAS* software. It is handled by Listserver (listserv) software, and is used by persons all over the world. Because of the high volume of mail traffic, and because of mail delays, SAS-L is a "peered" list. Such lists were more common through the early 1990's; they are less so now. The four listservs which maintain SAS-L at their sites are:

Site Listserv Address University of Vienna listserv@akh-wien.ac.at Marist University listserv@vm.marist.edu University of Georgia listserv@listserv.uga.edu Virginia Polytechnic University listserv@listserv.vt.edu

Q2) What is the history of SAS-L?

In late 1986, on the old Bitnet List "LIAISON" (a user services-type list in those days) there was a suggestion about having a list devoted to SAS. Harry Williams at Marist and Harold Pritchett at University of Georgia set up a "SAS-L" listserv at just about the same time as a response. The two were then "peered" (so a post on one was sent to the other). A number of other sites followed; today four remain (there were more at one time). Using Bitnet (NJE) terminology and current addresses, they are:

Site SAS-L Address

Marist University sas-l@vm.marist.edu VaTech University sas-l@listserv.vt.edu University of Vienna sas-l@akh-wien.ac.at University of Georgia sas-l@listserv.uga.edu

Q3) How do I send instructions and requests, such as a request to subscribe to SAS-L?

In each case, commands or instructions for the Listserver are sent to the email address of listserv@site, while postings for SAS-L are sent to sas-l@site . And site is one of the addresses below:

Site Listserv Address University of Vienna listserv@akh-wien.ac.at Marist University listserv@vm.marist.edu University of Georgia listserv@listserv.uga.edu Virginia Polytechnic University listserv@listserv.vt.edu

For instructions on how to subscribe to SAS-L see Q5 below.

Q4) How do I post questions and responses to SAS-L?

In each case, questions or responses for the list are sent to the email address of sas-l@site, while instructions are sent to listserv@site . And site is one of the addresses below:

Site SAS-L Address

Marist University sas-l@vm.marist.edu VaTech University sas-l@listserv.vt.edu University of Vienna sas-l@akh-wien.ac.at University of Georgia sas-l@listserv.uga.edu

Some tips when posting a message: Use a subject line. If your subject line is "No Subject" many people will ignore your message. If your subject line is "FREE LOVE" many people will read your message, but you may not like the responses.

Include your SAS version and platform. Try to quote the error message correctly. Consider cutting and pasting the log or output. You may want to read a few posts before you compose your first one.

Q5) How do I read the messages on SAS-L? (how to subscribe?)

One way to read SAS-L is via the newsgroup comp.soft-sys.sas. SAS-L is bidirectionally gated to the newsgroup comp.soft-sys.sas, and postings on one will pass to the other. If you read SAS-L this way, you will not get any messages mailed to your mailbox.

The subject line is ignored and the body should contain the command:

subscribe sas-l your name here

For example:

subscribe sas-l Tom Smith

is how Tom Smith would subscribe.

Perhaps the easiest way to subscribe to SAS-L is through the University of Georgia's web interface. This method has the distinct advantage that it allows you to specify your SAS-L defaults at the same time that you subscribe. Go to:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=sas-l&A=1

OR you can also go to:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu

and follow the instructions -- a few more steps, but easier to type.

Note: When you select your SAS-L settings, i.e. defaults, you probably want to select NOACK REPRO which means that when you post a message to SAS-L you will get a copy of the message so that you will know that it has been delivered to the list.

Note: please be careful to send your requests and instructions to the sites LISTSERV address and not the site's SAS-L address. The latter will get posted to the SAS-L list and it is rather annoying for the subscribers of the list to get such requests, since they can do nothing about them.

You can also read SAS-L through a new facility, see Q7 below!

Q6) Can I access SAS-L via my web browser?

You can read both the messages on SAS-L during the current week and the messages on SAS-L during every week from January 1, 1996 via your web browser. You can also search the SAS-L archives via your browser (see Q7). You may go to the UGA listserver site:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu

Currently only UGA and MARIST offer a browser interface. If you wish to post via the UGA Listserv web interface, you will have to register.

You are NOT registering for SAS-L and you must do this even if you ARE registered for SAS-L. This is mostly to register your email address - which will appear in any posting you make.

If you are subscribed to SAS-L at UGA (but not one of the other peers), you may also manage your subscription if you are registered. Should you register, the listserver will send you a test message asking you to "confirm" your registration. You may respond either by email (usually a "reply") or by using your browser. If you use the email method, be sure to send the message from the same address to which the original was sent (i.e., the one you registered). Please send any questions about this to

sas-l-request@listserv.uga.edu <mailto:sas-l-request@listserv.uga.edu>

Q7) How can I search the SAS-L pages with my web browser?

You may search the SAS-L archives via the UGA browser interface, see Q6 for instructions on registering, if necessary. Simply go to:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=sas-l

You can also go to:

http://www.listserv.uga.edu

and follow the instructions -- a few more steps, but easier to type.

Another web site that has the SAS-L archive:

www.dejanews.com

For complete instructions for using this DEJANEWS see:

http://www.stat.ncsu.edu/sas/newsgroup.html

Below are abbreviated instructions:

Deja.com Power Search provides an easy way to read comp.soft-sys.sas and search the archives.

To read the messages:

Connect to: http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml Enter the newsgroup name, comp.soft-sys.sas, in the forum field Select SEARCH

To search the archives:

Connect to: http://deja.com/home_ps.shtml Enter the newsgroup name, comp.soft-sys.sas, in the forum field Enter your desired search string Select SEARCH

Q8) How do I search the SAS-L archive using the E-mail technique?

To search the archive using the e-mail technique, you can find complete instructions at:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/user/user.html

Here are some abbreviated instructions:

Send e-mail to any of the listservers. For example:

SEARCH DDE IN SAS-L SINCE 96/05/26

The reply will include something like: Item # Date Time Recs Subject ------ ---- ---- ---- ------- 006546 96/07/22 23:25 94 Lines written 006569 96/07/22 15:47 1184 Re: SAS Data Set Format (long)

Send another message using the item numbers in the first column:

GETPOST SAS-L 6546 6569

Note: please be careful. Many people who try this send their request to the list rather than to the Listserver. See Q3 for a list of Listserv addresses.

How can I do a better search using the e-mail technique?

Start by sending a message to the list server with the body:

help

The server will send you a quick reference card.

Q9) SAS-L sends a lot of mail. Can I get a little less mail?

Send e-mail to the server (not to the list) to which you subscribed. See Q3 above for the sites. The subject line is ignored and the body should contain the command:

set sas-l digest

This will set your subscription to "digest."

Note:

set sas-l mail

will reverse this.

Q10) I'm going on vacation and would like to stop delivery of SAS-L?

To temporarily stop delivery of SAS-L, send e-mail to the server (not to the list) to which you subscribed. See Q3 above for the sites. The subject line is ignored and the body should contain the command:

set sas-l nomail

Q11) I want to leave the list permanently?

To STOP receiving mail from SAS-L (leave the list):

signoff sas-l

As with any request or instruction, you send this to the Listserver to which you subscribed to SAS-L. See Q3 above for a list of listserver addresses.

Q12) What if I try to unsubscribe and the server says I am not subscribed, but it still sends me all the mail?

In general, you may subscribe, maintain your subscription and leave without the intervention of the list owner. In a few cases, principally when your email address changes, you may have to contact the owner. The standard address for this is

sas-l-request@site

Where site is one of the sites listed above in Q3.

Q13) Where are the macros?

Some people add macros they post here to the SAS File Contribution Server at:

ftp://ftp.uga.edu/pub/sas/contrib.

Get the file USER.DOC first.

Q14) Are there other cool SAS related web pages?

Searching in http://www.altavista.digital.com for SAS, there are about 40,000 hits. Here are a few: SAS Institute maintains a web at: http://www.sas.com The SI web site includes technical support FAQ pages: http://www.sas.com/service/techsup/faq/index.html Dr. Carina Ortseifen offers a pointer to SAS info in German (auf Deutsche?) at: http://web.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/Unterstuetzung/Hinweise/Einzel/SAS/ Don Cram has notes on converting between Excel and SAS (both ways) at: http://www.stanford.edu/class/gsb/excel2sas.html Arnold Schick maintains libraries of SAS macros at: http://members.tripod.com/~schick/m-index.html http://members.tripod.com/~schick/p-index.html The Claremont Graduate School has some help at: http://www.cgs.edu/acit/help/sas.html A number of data sets can be found at the following (slow) URL: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~statdata/ There is a subscription form for several lists at: http://www.stattransfer.com/lists.html The Lsoft manual (it maintains the list) is at: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/user/user.html

Acknowledgements

F. Joe Kelly prepared this information for the SUGI 25 Random Access Lunch. Joe maintains the SAS-L listserv and the SAS-L web site at the University of Georgia. Also thanks to Tim Berryhill for compiling and maintaining the original FAQ.

Dianne Louise Rhodes Sr. Systems Analyst Westat