Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:16:25 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Shon <pjshon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      newbie question #2342: excel to unix sas

I currently use SAS 8.12 in UNIX. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I need to convert to a SAS dataset. I am currently doing the following:

1) saving the excel spreadsheet as a space-delimited file (*.prn) 2) uploading this file to my unix account 3) getting rid of strange carriage returns that magically arise from the uploading (they look like: ^M at the end of each observation) 4) then doing: DATA inn; INFILE 'abc.prn'; INPUT cusip $ perm ind ...

You are probably laughing as you read this because I am quite sure there is a better way to do this. Furthermore, when doing this, for some reason SAS reads a nontrivial number of the observations in with errors. Can someone please help this poor lost soul?

Thanks again.

=========================== John Shon Graduate School of Business University of Chicago

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx